The Faculty of Science follows in the steps of the original group of scientists who founded The Hebrew University and initiated the basic and applied research in the Natural Sciences. Since the 1950's, the Faculty has been located at the Edmond J. Safra Campus in Givat Ram.
The Faculty of Science encompasses research institutes and teaching departments in the major fields of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Life Sciences and Earth Sciences, together with a School of Engineering and Computer Science, and a Science Teaching Unit. There are some 240 faculty members, approximately 2,000 undergraduates and 1,400 MSc. and PhD. students. In addition, the Faculty of Science incorporates many research centers, active in diverse fields such as : Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Applied Structural Biology, Marine Biogeochemistry, Computational Quantum Chemistry, Mathematical Analysis, and Molecular Dynamics. There are two other interdisciplinary research centers which also provide teaching programs at the PhD. level: Neural Computation and the Center for Rationality Research.